Thursday, August 30, 2012

Our Visionaries


I would be remiss if I blogged about our time together without a proper introduction to our partners at the Marian Anderson Rec Center.  We have been encouraged, welcomed and supported by all of the staff and families at the Rec Center, none more than Maisha and Shawn.  Maisha is the Director of Programming for the Summer Camp and Shawn is the Director of the Center.  Over the summer I have witnessed their tireless dedication to the community, their overwhelming patience with the kids and their overall desire to bring well balanced programming into the center.

Throughout the center there are historical quotes from Marian Anderson on painted murals, posters and literature.  She was a remarkable woman and in the midst of a great racial divide broke through color and culture lines with her amazing voice.  She used her voice for more than just singing and although she was known for hating the spotlight she understood she was being called to do greater things. 

My favorite quote is painted on the mural in our work room, "I have a greater belief in the future of my people and myself".   Over the last few weeks I studied her life and her journey in order to gain insight.  I have attached a link below with a short intensive history but it is a story of loss, perseverance and hope.  I think many of us struggle when we think we have "arrived" only to lose everything once again.  The instinct is to give up or to "make peace" with our current situation but if we believe there is a greater plan on our life it gives us the energy and drive to persevere.  Although the timing of the quote is consistent with her unflagging struggle against racism I believe as a native Philadelphian from modest means and a hard family situation was speaking on all of our behalves.  She believed better for her people and herself.  My hope through this journey I will look for the greater future for myself and my community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_Anderson

1 comment: